"I have been getting error CE-34878-0 on PlayStation 4 since last night. Any suggestion to fix the issue?"
Overview of Error CE-34878-0
When you are playing the PS4 games, like Fortnite, Black Ops 4, NBA 2K19, FIFA, Apex Legends, or Hitman, you may encounter the error CE-34878-0 as displayed in the above image. CE-34878-0 is one of the most common error codes happening to users from time to time. It is caused by the PS4 corrupted data, games/applications crash, or the system software issues. If you get stuck in the error CE-34878-0 in PS4, don't worry, it is not hard to fix. Here we offer you some possible solutions for help.
Effective Methods to Fix Error CE-34878-0 on PS4
Error CE-34878-0 is a general error that happens when the game you are currently playing on the PlayStation 4 has crashed. Try the solutions below to solve this problem step by step.
Fix 1. Restart PS4 Console and Controller
If the error CE-34878-0 is caused by hardware failure, you can try to troubleshoot by restarting PS4 console and controller.
1.Turn off your PS4 console and controller.
2. Reboot your PS4 console and then the controller. After this, open the game that has the problem and check whether it works normally or not.
Fix 2. Install the Latest PS4 System Software and Game Updates
The error CE-34878-0 also occurs when there are unknown bugs within games or system crash in your PlayStation. So you can update the system and game software to fix the issue.
To install the latest game updates:
1. Go to the PlayStation home screen.
2. Highlight the game that needs to update. Press the "Options" button on your controller and select "Check for Update" to download and install the most recent update.
3. When the process finishes, restart your PS4 to check if the error has been settled.
To install the latest PS4 system software:
1. At first, make sure there is available internet connection for system upgrade. Then, go to the PlayStation home screen, select "Settings" > "System Software Update".
2. If there is available update, select "Update". (While if your PS4 system is the latest version, skip this method.) Wait for the update to download.
3. When the downloading completes, click "Downloads" to install the update on the popup window.
4. After it's done, restart your PS4 and open the game to see if the error is fixed.
Fix 3. Re-Install the Original Hard Drive
PS4 hard drive upgrade is one of the possible reasons for error CE-34878-0, so if you have ever replaced the hard disk drive in your system, re-install the original HDD to check if it is the source of the issue.
- To keep the data safe before you re-install the original HDD, you'd better back up the data currently saved in your PS4 with the pre-installed backup feature.
Prepare an external storage device and connect to your PS4. Go to "Settings" > "System" > "Back Up and Restore" on the PS4 to finish the process.
Fix 4. Back up Your Saved Data and Initialize PS4
After trying the above methods, if you are still stuck on error CE-34878-0, you may try to initialize your PS4 to fix it.
- Initializing PS4 will delete all the settings, games, and applications saved before. So you'd better back up your saved data at first using the methods provided in Fix 3. After initialization, you can restore all the backup data.
1. Go to PS4 "Settings" > "Initialization" > "Initialize PS4" > "Full".
2. Follow the on-screen instruction to finish the initialization. Then, restore all the backup data.
Fix 5. Contact PlayStation Support for Help
If the error CE-34878-0 still appears after all these attempts, you may have to contact PlayStation Support to solve the problem.
Bonus Tip: Creating Backup of Vital Game Screenshots
Note that if you have many screenshots of games or you saved many short videos while playing games on your PlayStation, it's advised that you save or back up those data to another secure location.
For example, you can back up your game screenshots and videos to your PC or another storage device.
To do so, you may connect your PS hard drive to your computer and apply reliable backup software like EaseUS Todo Backup for help.